Gary O. Phillips
City of San Rafael, Mayor
1400 Fifth Avenue
PO Box 151560
San Rafael, CA 94915-1560
Gary Phillips and his wife of over 40 years, Linda, have made San Rafael their home since 1972. Together they have raised their three children, Kenneth, Janette and Lisa, and became active members of the San Rafael community.
As his children were being educated in the Dixie School District and attending Terra Linda High School, Gary became increasingly involved in our local school system. Eventually, Gary successfully ran for the Dixie School Board where he served for eight years, including two terms as its president. During his tenure, he helped turn the Dixie School District into one of the most respected, well-run educational systems in Marin County.
Gary then went on to serve three years on the San Rafael Planning Commission. While he was on the Commission, he provided pragmatic and informed decision making on important planning issues
In 1994, Gary ran for a seat on the San Rafael City Council and won the election. Ultimately, he was re-elected to the Council three times serving from 1995 to 2007, and elected Mayor in 2011.
As a Mayor, Gary is known for his abilities to bring consensus, make decisions based on his principles and provide strong leadership at critical times. During his service on the San Rafael City Council, Gary has worked tirelessly to revitalize Downtown, improve our City parks and community centers and make sound environmental choices. Gary’s professional skills as a Certified Public Accountant also give him an expert understanding of fiscal matters and budgetary issues before the Council.
In his professional life, Gary is a retired partner of DZH Phillips LLP, a San Francisco CPA/Business Advisory and Consulting firm which employs over 100 people in San Francisco, Oakland, San Rafael and Burlingame. He served as managing partner for 15 years, and head of the Business Consulting and Advisory services division specializing in business valuations, mergers and acquisitions and litigation support. Gary sat on the advisory boards of Golden Gate University and a regional bank. He received his degree and MBA from Humboldt State University with additional studies at the University of California Berkeley.
Additional Past Experience
- Board/Executive Member: Dixie Youth Soccer (including President)
- Terra Linda Homeowners Association (including President)
- Terra Linda Orca Swim Team (including President)
- Dixie/Terra Linda Little League
- Lifehouse – Board of Directors (benefitting the developmentally challenged)
- Terra Linda High School Boosters (including President)
- The Olympic Club (Board Member and Vice-Chair US Open 2012)
- Marin/Sonoma Concours d’Elegance (supporting Hospice by the Bay)
- San Rafael Chamber of Commerce (including Chair of the Board)
- Member of the San Rafael Chamber of Commerce Leadership Institute
- San Rafael Revenue Options Committee
- San Rafael Police Academy
- North San Rafael Vision Steering Committee
- Vision Action Committee