Street Smarts Marin
Street Smarts is a traffic safety program that educates drivers, pedestrians and cyclists about safety issues, including distracted driving. The goal is to encourage people to adopt new attitudes and behaviors that will reduce the number of traffic-related accidents and make our streets safer for everyone.
In addition to providing educational materials and presentations, the program focuses on placing outdoor advertising at “hotspots” throughout Marin County – bold reminders at the locations where traffic problems occur most frequently. The placement of specific messages was determined based on findings from the 2018 Systemic Safety Analysis Report (SSAR) as well as analysis of 2016-2020 countywide collision data from the Statewide Integrated Traffic Records System (SWITRS). Keep your eye up for the messages coming to a roadway near you!
Spread the Word!
You can help make our streets safe by using these social media tools during the Street Smarts rollout from early-October through late-November 2023:
Put a free lawn sign in your yard!
Contact your local municipality to get a free lawn sign kit (corrugated plastic sign and metal lawn stake). Signs are available as shown below in both English and Spanish where noted. Municipalities have a limited supply, so it is strictly first come, first serve. You’ll be able to pick up a lawn sign kit at your local municipality. If you are looking for a lawn sign in Spanish but your municipality doesn’t have one, please contact us.
Lawn Signs in English
- Belvedere – Christina Cook
- Corte Madera – Cymantha Baroy
- County of Marin – Carey Lando
- County of Marin (San Geronimo Community Center) – ask for Dave Cort, Alexa, or Michelle
- Fairfax – Loren Umbertis
- Larkspur – Richard Cho
- Marin City (Marin City Community Services District) – Juanita Edwards
- Mill Valley – David DeLira
- Novato – Julie Eichner
- Ross – Anthony Alcozer
- San Anselmo – AJ Shaw
- San Rafael – Rafat Raie
- Sausalito (Library) – Abbot Chambers or Andrew Davidson
- Tiburon – David Eshoo
- West Marin (Stinson Beach Fire Dept.) – Jesse Peri or (415) 868-0622 Ext. 3
- West Marin Community Center (Point Reyes) Alma Sanchez (Resource Ctr. 11431 Highway 1, Suite 10)